For better or worse, the one thing about being an online newspaper is knowing exactly which stories hit a nerve with our readers and those that barely made a ripple.
It will probably come as no surprise that many of the best-read stories on Oswego Patch were those that had to do with police and fire or school.
Don't worry — if you're disheartened by the fact that so many sad stories made the cut, check back for our roundup of our favorite feel-good stories of the year. We'll also have a roundups of editor's picks, top business stories, best blog posts and more, so stay tuned!
10. Man Charged with Murder After Attack at Naperville Bar: Shaun Wild, a teacher at Spring Brook Elementary School, died of injuries sustained during a stabbing Saturday morning. A former Lemont High School student who now attends North Central College was also seriously injured in the incident.
9. UPDATE: Firefighter Died of Attack From Her Own Dog: Dawn Brown, a 44-year-old firefighter from western Kane County died as a result of wounds sustained from a dog attack in her home
8. O'Donnell Submits Resignation Letter: District 308 chief stepping down after less than three years.
7. : The District 308 School Board voted Monday night to accept the original recommendation of its boundary committee in redrawing the district’s 2012-13 attendance lines
6. : John Francis, assistant principal at Hunt Cluband Old Post elementary schools, was charged with driving under the influence of alcohol and possession of drug paraphernalia.
5. Three Teens Killed in Semi-Truck Crash Near Oswego: Three teenagers - two from Plainfield, one from Naperville - were killed when their car collided with a semi truck in June.
4. Oswego District 308 Warns of School Violence Rumors: School posts announcement and a worried parent contacts Patch about her children attending school tomorrow. District to be on heightened alert.
3. Man Arrested With Semi-Automatic Rifle and Ammo Outside Oswego Walmart: Mason K. Dunne, 21, of Pennsylvania was charged with two felony counts for weapons and one misdemeanor.
2. Pedestrian Killed in Early Morning Collision on Rt. 71: Oswego police have confirmed that 22-year-old Garrett Riotte of Oswego was killed in a collision that involved two vehicles, and resulted in a drunken driving charge for one of the drivers.
1. Oswego Boy Dies After Baseball Accident in Wheaton: Eric Lederman, a 12-year old Oswego boy, has died from injuries suffered Wednesday while playing baseball for the Oswego Panthers 12U Orange traveling team.