Trick-or-treating is still on despite the rainy weather in Oswego.
Have a safe and fun Halloween!
October 31 is quickly approaching and that means it's almost time for the kids to stock up on boatloads of free candy.
You'll want to make sure they do so during the official trick-or-treat hours for Oswego.
Just like last year, Oswego trick-or-treat hours are from 3:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. on Halloween night.
Those hours will remain in affect going forward, following a lengthy discussion about appropriate trick-or-treating times at the Village Board last year.
The Village of Montgomery trick-or-treating hours are from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. and the City of Yorkville will have trick-or-treating between 4 p.m. and 7 p.m.
The Oswego Police Department also offers some Halloween safety tips for trick-or-treaters.
First is to be aware of any registered sex offenders living in your area. By law, they are not allowed to distribute candy on Halloween.
For a full list, see the Patch's interactive sex offender map.
Other safety tips include:
• Children should be accompanied by a parent or responsible adult.
• Travel in groups when not with an adult. This is meant to be a guideline to help parents ensure a safe and enjoyable event for their children.
• Trick-or-treating is encouraged during daylight hours.
• Carry a flashlight and wear reflective clothing after dark.
• Children should never enter a home to receive treats.
• Only go to homes with outside lights on.
• Wearing a mask effects children’s ability to see where they are walking.
• Do not carry sharp accessories with costumes.
• Review street safety with children.
• Parents should check candy before children consume any.