Editor's Note: The following is from a notice from the Oswego Police Department:
The Oswego Police Department would like to provide some useful safety information prior to the upcoming Halloween activities.
Before heading out to trick-or-treat parents should review the Oswego Police Department Website or the Illinois State Police Website to identify the location of registered sex offenders within the Village of Oswego. It is advised that parents inform themselves of these addresses in order to avoid them on their trick-or-treat route.
See Patch's Interactive Sex-Offender Map for all Current Registered Offenders
• Children should be accompanied by a parent or responsible adult.
• Travel in groups when not with an adult. This is meant to be a guideline to help parents ensure a safe and enjoyable event for their children.
• Trick-or-treating is encouraged during daylight hours.
• Carry a flashlight and wear reflective clothing after dark.
• Children should never enter a home to receive treats.
• Only go to homes with outside lights on.
• Wearing a mask effects children’s ability to see where they are walking.
• Do not carry sharp accessories with costumes.
• Review street safety with children.
• Parents should check candy before children consume any.
Oswego Village ordinance allows for trick-or-treating between 3:30 and 8:00 PM.
Oswego Police will have extra patrol during the evening on Halloween. This will include six bicycle patrol officers along with marked patrol units.