Wednesday, March 6, 2013
Oswego High School takes on West Aurora High School at 7:30 p.m. on March 6.
The Oswego High School Panthers take on the West Aurora High School Blackhawks in the boys basketball semi-finals. Tip-off is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. at Bolingbrook High School on March 6, after the game was postponed on March 5 due to the weather. The Panthers earned the title of regional champion in their win against Bolingbrook on March 1 with a score of 72-59. Watch the Panthers battle it out live on the Patch with video provided by High School Cube.
Friday, February 25, 2011
Sports Writer Paul Johnson ranks the top five teams in the region, plus a short list of the next best teams.
1. Benet Academy (27-0): Benet is the talk of the nation after taking down the state’s No. 1 team, Simeon on Saturday. The Redwings soared to No. 6 in the USA Today poll and No. 1 in the Midwest. They’ll take their perfect record into the postseason next week at the Naperville North Regional. 2. Downers Grove South (23-3): The Mustangs quietly will ride into the postseason in Benet’s shadow, not having lost a game since Dec. 18. They’ll ride a 16-game win streak into the West Aurora Regional next week. 3. East Aurora (20-5): The Tomcats have won five straight after a three-game hiccup and still have a non-conference tune-up with Batavia Friday before starting their postseason journey. East Aurora headlines the Bolingbrook Regional next …
Friday, February 18, 2011
Sports writer Paul Johnson ranks the region's top five boys basketball teams, plus a list of five knocking on the door.
1. Benet Academy (25-0): The game Illinois basketball fans have awaited for all season is finally here, the Redwings’ showdown with No. 1 Simeon Saturday at the UIC Pavilion. Simeon was knocking on the door of a No. 1 national ranking, but was knocked off by Whitney Young this week. Could a Benet win make it the state’s No. 1 team? 2. Downers Grove South (21-3): A 10-day layoff didn’t slow down the Mustangs against Leyden. Friday features a chance for DGS to wrap up the West Suburban Gold as the Mustangs host a tough Proviso East team. DGS beat the Pirates by 12 in January. 3. East Aurora (17-5): The Tomcats rebounded from three straight losses with three straight wins, including Neuqua Valley and cross-town rival West Aurora. They …
Friday, February 11, 2011
Sports writer Paul Johnson ranks the top five boys basketball teams in the region, plus a list of the five next best.
1. Benet Academy (24-0): The margins of victory keep getting smaller, but the wins keep coming for the Redwings. Last week’s wins clinched their second straight East Suburban Catholic championship. 2. Downers Grove South (20-3): The Mustangs continue to roll, overwhelming Willowbrook and Downers Grove North to make it 13 straight wins. DGS gave up only 46 combined points in the two wins. 3. Neuqua Valley (20-4): The Wildcats recovered from a mid-season lull to win four of their last five games. Avenging their first loss of the year at East Aurora Thursday would give them a great shot at winning the Upstate Eight Valley title. 4. East Aurora (16-5): The Tomcats join the region with this week’s launch of the Montgomery site. UConn-bound Ryan…
Sunday, February 6, 2011
Wolves senior makes big plays at big times to keep team in league race.
Oswego East senior Wesley Brooks is not one of the bigger players on the court. In fact, no one on either team for Saturday’s big rivalry game at Oswego was listed shorter than Brooks’ height of 5-foot-8. But that did not stop the Wolves’ guard from coming up huge at the biggest times of the game. All Brooks did was score five points late in the third quarter and eight more points in the fourth to power East to a big come-from-behind 80-78 win. Not only did East avenge its December loss to the Panthers, but in improving to 6-4 in the Southwest Prairie Conference–and dropping Oswego to 7-3–the outcome now has them back in the conference race trailing only Plainfield South (7-2) and Oswego. “Wes was a ton tonight,” East coach Jason Buckley …
Saturday, February 5, 2011
Oswego East 80, Oswego 78. Senior guard comes up big late as Wolves beat rivals to stay in conference race.
The Hot Read: The host Panthers led 46-39 at the half as Ryan West and Elliot McGaughy combined for 29 points, but Oswego East made plenty of big plays late to avenge an earlier loss to Oswego and to climb back into the Southwest Prairie Conference race. Wesley Brooks, who sat much of the second quarter after picking up his second foul, scored five points late in a third-quarter charge and then tallied eight points in the decisive fourth quarter. McGaughy finished with a game-high 29 points for Oswego, but West was limited to six points in the second half, including a put-back at the buzzer that left his team two points shy of catching the Wolves. Patch’s MVP: Even in a losing effort, Oswego’s Elliot McGaughy put on quite a show (29 points…
Friday, February 4, 2011
Sports writer Paul Johnson ranks the top area high school boys basketball teams from 1-5, plus a short list of the next best.
1. Benet (22-0): Redwings keep on overcoming every challenge, but the road to facing Simeon Feb. 19 is no picnic. St. Patrick, Marist and Niles Notre Dame are no guarantees in East Suburban Catholic play. 2. Downers Grove South (18-3): Mustangs’ surge continued with a win over Morton, avenging one of their three losses this season. Oh, and that makes 11 straight wins and counting. 3. Neuqua Valley (19-4): Wildcats bounce back from Waubonsie loss by dominating Bolingbrook. The schedule sets up nicely for a strong regular-season finish as well. 4. Oswego (14-5): Panthers push closer to a Southwest Prairie Conference title with wins over Plainfield East and South. A chance for a second win over both Oswego East and Plainfield Central await …
Saturday, January 29, 2011
Guard provides senior leadership, scoring for Oswego East boys basketball.
Oswego East relies heavily on senior guard Wesley Brooks, so things got a little dicey when he picked up his second foul with plenty of time still left in the second quarter of Friday’s tight Southwest Prairie contest with visiting Plainfield. But not to worry, Wolves fans. Brooks did not pick up the dreaded fifth foul. Instead, he was the player who came up biggest in the four-minute overtime session, scoring six points to power Oswego East to a 57-53 victory. But Wolves coach Jason Buckley was indeed concerned early on when Brooks was called for a player control foul while driving hard to the basket in the first quarter and then getting whistled on the defensive end in the second quarter. “He got that first one on a kind of a rough …
Boys basketball coach Jerry Farber will retire from coach and teaching at the end of the academic year.
Yorkville High School honored retiring basketball coach Jerry Farber with a presentation before the varsity game and a small reception after the game.
Friday, January 28, 2011
Sports writer Paul Johnson ranks to the top area boys basketball teams from 1-5, plus a short list of the next best.
1. Benet Academy (21-0): Redwings welcome Dave Sobolewski back from a back strain in style, dominating Glenbard East at the Sears Centre. Benet is in prime position for the No. 1 seed at the Class 4A East Aurora Sectional. 2. Downers Grove South (16-3): The Mustangs are the talk of the suburbs after beating Proviso East in Maywood by 12 points and running their winning streak to nine with a win over Addison Trail. 3. Neuqua Valley (18-4): The Wildcats hang on to third in the rankings despite losing to rival Waubonsie Valley Saturday. Neuqua heads to Bolingbrook Saturday before returning to Upstate Eight Valley play against Lake Park next week. 4. Hinsdale South (13-6): The Hornets reach the top five for the first time all year, but a trip …