Monday, May 21, 2012
Thousands of dollars of car parts stolen.
Oswego police reported that someone stole the rims and tires from 2 2012 Chevrolet Tahoes at Ron Westphal Chevrolet sometime over the weekend of May 19. The thefts were reported to police Monday morning. The value of the rims and tires was place at about $7,000, police said. The theft is still under investigation, according to police. This story has been updated to more accurately reflect the amount of vehicles.
Wednesday, December 21, 2011
With offers from other local communities, will one of the village's largest sales tax contributors leave town?
Called to ensure all village trustees had a chance to be heard on the proposed $300,000 sales tax rebate to Westphal Chevrolet, a special Village Board meeting Tuesday night ended with a 3-2 vote to not enter into the deal with the dealership. Trustees Jeff Lawson, Tony Giles and Terry Michels voted against the deal that would have paid the village the same amount of sales tax dollars its been receiving the past three years (about $173,000 annually) plus 25 percent of extra tax dollars on top of that. The dealership would keep the remaining 75 percent of what is generated annually until the $300,000 is captured. General Motors has ordered a renovation of the dealership that may cost Westphal about $1.5 million, and the rebate was to help …
Saturday, December 17, 2011
Village Board will meet next week to discuss, possibly vote on sales tax rebate.
The Village Board will hold a special meeting Tuesday to further discuss and possibly vote on the $300,000 tax rebate deal with Westphal Chevrolet. The board was originally scheduled to vote on the matter Jan. 10, but the meeting was moved up to allow for the presence of all trustees, said Village President Brian LeClercq. The Jan. 10 meeting conflicted with the schedule of at least one other trustee, he said. “On a matter as important as this I think that it’s important for all board members to be present and have their say,” LeClercq said. Trustee Terry Michels was absent from Tuesday’s meeting and the original vote was delayed in part for that reason. LeClercq said all trustees have agreed to attend the special Tuesday meeting, which …
Tuesday, December 13, 2011
Dealership to undergo $1.5 million facelift.
Westphal Chevrolet is set to request a $300,000 sales tax rebate from the village of Oswego as it prepares to embark upon an approximately $1.5 million dealership renovation. Tony Lucenko, the village’s recently hired economic development director, will present the deal to Oswego trustees at Tuesday night’s Committee of the Whole meeting. They could vote on it at the Village Board meeting immediately following. According to village documents, Westphal approached the village in October, originally requesting $1 million. “After several meetings with staff, they have reduced the sales tax rebate request to $500,000,” said a memo prepared by Lucenko for trustees. “Staff indicated that we would prepare a request of $300,000 for the Village …